The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark covers the London boroughs south of the Thames, the County of Kent and the Medway Unitary Authority.
Archbishop Peter Smith was born in Battersea on 21st October 1943. He completed his secondary education at Clapham College and gained his degree (LLB) from Exeter University in 1966. He studied for the priesthood at St John’s Seminary, Wonersh, and was ordained Priest on 5th July 1972.
His first appointment was as an assistant priest at St Francis, Stockwell (1972 – 1974). In 1977 he gained his Doctorate in Canon Law (JCD) from the Pontifical University of St Thomas Aquinas in Rome and became Professor of Canon Law at St John’s Seminary (1977 – 1984). He was parish priest of St Andrew’s, Thornton Heath, (1984 – 1985) and Rector at St John’s Seminary from 1985 – 1995.
He was appointed as Bishop of East Anglia in 1995 and Archbishop of Cardiff in 2001. On 30th April 2010, the Holy Father announced that he would succeed Archbishop Kevin McDonald as the tenth Archbishop of Southwark.
Archbishop Peter is Vice-President of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales. Since 1998, he has been Chairman of the Department of Christian Responsibility and Citizenship of the Bishops’ Conference.
His previous responsibilities have been as Chairman of the Catholic Truth Society (1993 – 2007) and Chairman of the Central Religious Advisory Committee (CRAC) of the BBC and ITC (2001 – 2004). He was appointed Sub-Prelate and Chaplain of the Order of St John of Jerusalem in 2002. He has been awarded Honorary Fellowships at St Edmund’s College, Cambridge (1997), the University of Wales, Lampeter (2004) and Cardiff University (2006).
The diocese is divided into three pastoral areas and 20 deaneries, each of which contain a number of parishes:
South East Pastoral Area: 66 parishes
• Bexley: Bexley; Bexleyheath; Blackfen; Bostall Park; Crayford; Erith; Sidcup; Thamesmead South; Welling.
• Bromley: Anerley; Beckenham; Biggin Hill; Bromley; Bromley Common; Chislehurst; Chislehurst West; Farnborough; Hayes; Orpington; Petts Wood; St Mary and St Paul’s Cray; West Wickham.
• Camberwell: Camberwell; Dulwich; Dulwich Wood Park; Nunhead; Peckham; Peckham Rye.
• Greenwich: Abbey Wood–St Benet’s; Abbey Wood–St David’s; Blackheath; Charlton; Eltham; Eltham Well Hall; Greenwich; Greenwich East; Kidbrooke; Mottingham; Plumstead; Plumstead Common; Shooters Hill; Thamesmead Central; Woolwich.
• Lambeth: Brixton; Brixton Hill; Clapham; Clapham Park; Italian Mission; Norbury; Norwood West; Herne Hill; Stockwell; Streatham; Streatham Hill; Vauxhall; Waterloo.
• Lewisham: Beckenham Hill; Brockley; Catford; Deptford; Downham; Forest Hill; Lee; Lewisham; Sydenham; Sydenham Kirkdale.
South West Pastoral Area: 64 parishes
• Balham: Balham; Battersea Park; Battersea West; Clapham Common; Earlsfield; Tooting; Tooting Bec; Wandsworth; Wandsworth East Hill.
• Cathedral: Cathedral; Bermondsey–Dockhead; Bermondsey–Melior Street; Bermondsey South; Borough; Kennington Park; Rotherhithe; Surrey Docks; Walworth.
• Croydon: Addiscombe; Coulsdon; Croydon South; Croydon West; New Addington; Norwood South; Norwood Upper; Old Coulsdon; Purley; Sanderstead; Selsdon; Thornton Heath; Waddon.
• Kingston: Chessington; Kingston; Kingston Hill; New Malden; Norbiton; Surbiton; Tolworth.
• Merton: Colliers Wood; Merton; Mitcham; Morden; Pollards Hill; Tooting (Links Road); Wimbledon; Wimbledon Park; Wimbledon South.
• Mortlake: Barnes; East Sheen; Ham; Kew Gardens; Mortlake; Putney; Richmond; Roehampton; Wimbledon Common.
• Sutton: Carshalton; Carshalton Beeches; Cheam; North Cheam; Sutton; Sutton Green; Wallington; Worcester Park.
Kent Pastoral Area: 50 parishes
• Canterbury: Ashford; Ashford South; Canterbury; Faversham; Herne Bay; Hersden; Whitstable.
• Chatham: Chatham; Gillingham; Parkwood and Wigmore; Rainham; Rochester; Sheppey; Sittingbourne; Strood; Walderslade.
• Dover: Aylesham; Buckland; Deal; Dover; Folkestone; Folkestone West; Hythe; Mongeham.
• Gravesend: Dartford; Dartford–St Vincent’s; Gravesend; Hartley; Meopham; Northfleet; Swanley.
• Maidstone: Bearsted and Harrietsham; Cranbrook; Goudhurst; Maidstone; Maidstone South; Tenterden; West Malling.
• Thanet: Birchington and Westgate; Margate and Cliftonville; Broadstairs; Ramsgate and Minster.
• Tunbridge Wells: Edenbridge; Paddock Wood; Pembury; Sevenoaks; Southborough; Tonbridge; Tunbridge Wells; Westerham.
For more information about our Archdiocese please visit Archdiocese website.